ISOP is now in the process of sheduling Early Treatment Tutorials. If you are interested in attending one of the hands-on Mehta Method casting tutorials, please fill out the form below.
Early Treatment Tutorials are hosted by ISOP and Children's Hospital throughout the U.S. and abroad. Medical professionals such as pediatric orthopedic surgeons, pediatricians, cast technicians and post op recovery staff are invited to attend. ISOP has held several tutorials since 2005 and our goal is to have one or two annually.
Goals and Objectives
• The goal of Early Treatment Tutorials are to promote awareness and understanding of infantile scoliosis
and the importance of Early
detection and treatment.
• The individual patient examinations, case presentations, history and physicals with accompanying
X-rays will provide insight into the early
diagnosis and treatment of progressive infantile scoliosis (PIS).
• Characteristics such as slender & sturdy phenotypes, certain syndromes, age of detection and radiological measurements such as Cobb
angle and RVAD (rib vertebra angle degree) will be discussed.
• EDF/Mehta casting techniques and treatment plans of PIS will also be discussed.
• Discuss necessity of pediatric orthopedic surgeons applying Dr. Mehta's specialized EDF, corrective plaster jackets/casts and the importance
of having qualified cast technicians to assist in the Early Treatment Process.
At the conclusion of this program, the participant should be able to:
• Understand what infantile scoliosis is (progressive and resolving).
• Understand the importance of early detection and treatment of PIS.
• List distinct phenotypes possessing different physical characteristics and patterns of progression of the PIS.
• Understand the significance of the Cobb angle and the Rib Vertebra Angle of Difference (RVAD).
• Understand the necessity of using a size appropriate EDF casting frame that has the ability to assist in the correction of the scoliosis
• Understand different casting techniques such as over the shoulder, and underarm casts, and the appropriate use of both methods.
• Understand the importance of using plaster of Paris, and its superiority in the Early Treatment Process
• Understand the importance of proper x-rays and when to take them.
• Discuss the various treatment options of PIS.
All participants will receive a full day of hands-on training by qualified and experienced Mehta/EDF cast surgeons.
Past Early Treatment Tutorials have been held in the following locations:
Shriners Intermountain Hospital, Salt Lake City, Utah
Shriners Hospital for Children, Erie, PA.
Shriners Hospital for Children, Philadelphia, PA.
Shriners Hospital for Children, Chicago, Illinois
Golisano Childrens Hospital, University of Rochester, NY.
Randwick Childrens Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children, Dallas, TX.
Rocky Mountain Childrens Hospital, PSL, Denver, CO.
If you are interested in being notified of Early Treatment Tutorials being held this year, please fill out the information below and we will keep you updated as to when and where the tutorials will be held. Your information will not be sold or shared with anyone.